.

.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Classes

I'm waiting for everyone in our house to get ready so we can go out to eat! It's going to be so nice :).

While I have time I'll share a little about the class I had today...
I decided to enroll my self in a speech class, because I'll then have it out of the way when I graduate and go to Purdue in the fall. I kinda expected my teacher to be intimidating and stuff...you know, have superior communication skills and such. Upon entering the class, I noticed some sloppy writing on the board announcing that he(Mr. Nelson) only had one of his two hearing aids, so we would need to speak loudly for him to hear. Knowing that I might have to repeat myself ten times I decided that I wouldn't attempt to say anything...I'm sure the other students felt the same as the class remained deathly silent. We watched him shuffle around the classroom for a while. When he began to introduce the syllabus I was surprised at how completely mono-tone his voice was. I thought that speech teachers were supposed to be somewhat exciting and engaging when they spoke...isn't it supposed to be what they're good at and stuff? Needless to say, my speech class turned out completely different than what I had expected! I guess it's a good thing that I won't be intimidated by Mr. Nelson...he said we could call him "Mr. Ed". This kinda makes me chuckle because he is nothing like the Ed Bahler that I call Dad.

I'm happy to announce that my other classes seem to be going pretty well. Janessa and I have the first two classes on Mon., Wed., and Fri. together!...It couldn't have worked out better :). I'm going to have a positive outlook this semester even if some of my teachers are a little duddy!

4 comments:

Nick said...

Good luck in the new semester. As far as your speech prof goes, I'm reminded of the old adage, "Those who can't do, teach". Perhaps he's more eloquent than he seems...but I wouldn't count on it.

Peace.

L, Ann and boys said...

ooooow...funny. Sounds like you got a real winner. =o) Remember it's proper to respect our profs and teachers all through our lives. He may have a thing or two tucked up his sleeve...sounds like he's been around to see quite a bit in his lifetime. Plus, next time he'll have both his hearing aides...watch out! =o)

Ann

Anonymous said...

Nick- truly that hurts :). Kait- sounds very interesting. -J

Bry&Ash said...

The funny stories almost make the bad experience worth it. I had fun sitting around and talking about school horror stories last night.:) Mom's fish lips one might just beat Mr. Ed though.:)

Love you! And have loved being home this week with you. Hopefully my need to control and my need to be right all the time haven't been too unbearable.:) hehe